Faith Action Plan
Share your faith engagement successes
Following the publication of the Faith Action Plan last month, we are committed to delivering against our assigned actions and working with faith leaders to improve consent rates and increase the number of BAME patients receiving a life-saving transplant.
On of the actions set out in the Plan was for us to take a lead on sharing local examples of faith engagement with SNODs, CLODs and Committees so we can learn about each other’s initiatives with a view to possibly replicating successful projects elsewhere.
Whether you have completed a piece of faith engagement activity or have plans underway, please do let us know. This might include for example outreach events in the local community, a seminar for faith leaders or photo opportunity in a local Mosque.
Best practice examples
- Radio Engagement - South Central
- South Wales and Cognition
- South Asian Organ Donation: Meeting with Religious Scholars
- One Voice
- Radio Nation BAME community project
- The South West Organ Donation Team joins forces with the Lord Mayor Faruk Choudhury
- South West Organ Donation Team - Sikh and Muslim dinner on the 17th of January
- BAME Report 2013 – North West London Cluster
- BAME Report 2013 – West London Cluster
- Meeting at the West London Islamic centre
- The Lord Mayor's Blood and Organ Campaign - September 2013 to June 2014
- Regional BAME Leads in ODT
- Raising awareness of organ donation in faith communities - Birmingham
- Strategic engagement with Muslim faith Leaders
- The South West team at Cribbs Causeway and Plymouth University
- Newcastle Sikh Temple
- Scottish Government and Kidney Research UK Project: Kidney Edinburgh Mela and Gurdwara events 30th and 31st August
To share your examples please email: Karolina.Nikolaou@nhsbt.nhs.uk
Thank you in advance for helping us. It is hoped that this initiative will establish a platform for staff to share and consult on best examples and will help us deepen our knowledge on faith related barriers and issues on organ donation and transplantation.
In May 2013, NHSBT hosted a Faith Summit where 50 faith leaders met representatives of NHSBT to discuss how to allow everyone in the UK to support organ donation. In December 2013, Professor Gurch Randhawa published the Faith Engagement and Organ Donation Action plan. A preliminary response was made by Sally Johnson and plans are being developed to respond to these plans.Next section: BAME Market Research